Preservation and Restoration of
The images above
feature the recently restored Town Hall in Sandwich -- the oldest town on the
The building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, has a well-documented and lively history. In the early 1900’s, for instance, silent movies were shown for community viewing in the second floor Meeting Hall. The projectionist turned the film by a hand-crank, and movies were accompanied by local residents playing an upright piano.
The restoration took 15 months and was completed in October 2010. The historic preservation and restoration focused on retaining the historic, character-defining features of the Town Hall, and specifically on restoring:
Ø the linear first floor corridor and rear doorway
Ø the original Meeting Hall and 1870s stenciled ceiling
Ø 1914 extension and stage
Ø historic exterior and original paint colors.
The upstairs Meeting
Hall, originally the location for Sandwich Town Meeting, has been mostly vacant
since the 1930s, when it became a storage room for records. It has now been completely
restored and will once again serve as a community gathering spot
for school performances, plays, movies, lectures,
and other community activities. Other changes included updating the
building to meet