Historic Preservation



After 150 years, Concord's Town House Gets A Much Needed Restoration
In 2012, the Town of Concord began a two-year, CPA-funded project to restore their historic Town House. The Italianate style structure, located at 22 Monument Square, was built in 1851 in the midst of a thriving agriculture and urban market economy fueled by the expanse of railroads during that time period.
Preserving Abigail Adams’s Birthplace: CPA helps rescue Weymouth’s “Hidden Gem”
The first lady and wife of the nation’s second president, Abigail Adams was born and raised in a two-story saltbox-style home in North Weymouth. Until recently, the future of this historic site, museum, and national treasure was in question due to its diminishing condition.
Needham Town Hall: Largest CPA Project Ever Tackles Complex Financing Issues on Path to Rehabilitation
The largest appropriation of CPA funds for a single project was recently approved by residents of Needham. At Town Meeting in May, residents gave their stamp of approval to the Community Preservation Committee's (CPC) recommendation to restore Needham Town Hall, using $15 million in CPA funds
Gillett Cigar Factory, Southwick
With the help of CPA funds and a group of determined local preservationists, the town of Southwick succeeded in a race against the clock to save what is probably the last surviving cigar factory in the Connecticut River Valley.
Declaration of Independence, Mendon
The town of Mendon used CPA funds to restore their copy of the Declaration of Independence, dating back to the 17th century.
Historic Library Preservation, Lenox
Using CPA funds, the town of Lenox was able to purchase the historic Lenox library from a private library association in financial trouble.
Thacher Island Preservation Project, Rockport
Thacher Island, with its twin 19th century granite lighthouses, is a National Historic Landmark – one of fewer than 2,400 in the nation. This CPA project involved rehabilitation of the Whistle House, also called the Fog Signal building, along with other structures on this historic island
Sheep Hill Farm, Williamstown
The town of Williamstown granted CPA funds for the restoration of Sheep Hill Farm’s dairy and horse barns dating to the 1810-1830 period, and the relocation of a historic barrel-stave silo from a neighboring property to replace an identical one that collapsed.