The Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR) has released the Community Preservation Trust Fund distribution for each CPA municipality. The revenue from this year's trust fund distribution comes from two sources: the recording fees collected over the past 12 months at the state's Registries of Deeds plus $10 million from the state's FY2018 budget surplus. In total, more than $33 million will be distributed to the 172 communities eligible for a distribution.
All CPA communities will receive 19% on round one of the trust fund distribution this year. Communities that adopted CPA with a full 3% local property tax surcharge received a higher percentage. Had the Coalition not been able to secure the additional $10 million, the round one match would have been only 13.8%, an all-time low. We are grateful to the legislature and the Baker administration for agreeing to provide state budget surplus funds for CPA and helping communities avoid a record low distribution.
Click on the links below for details on this year's distribution and to view the specific distribution amounts for each community:
PLEASE NOTE: When downloading the above spreadsheet, some users of Internet Explorer have reported that a dialog box appears asking for a user name and password. If this occurs, hit "cancel" and be patient while the spreadsheet downloads. Users of Firefox, Chrome, and Safari have reported no such issue.
For the PDF version, you may have to zoom in considerably after downloading in some browsers.
Statistics From This Year's Distribution:
- Total municipalities qualifying for a trust fund distribution on November 15, 2018: 172
- Match percentage received by municipalities with a CPA local property tax surcharge of less than 3%: 19.0%
- Match percentage received by municipalities with the maximum CPA local property tax surcharge of 3%: Range of 19.3% to 100%
- Number of municipalities receiving a full 100% match: 8
- Community with largest Trust Fund Distribution: Boston ($3,612,857)
- Community with the smallest Trust Fund Distribution: Gosnold ($560)
- Total payout in first round distribution: $29,169,558
- Total payout in second round distribution: $2,854,632
- Total payout in third round distribution: $1,577,607
- Total payout for all rounds: $33,601,797
- Month-to-month CPA Trust Fund collections at the state's Registries of Deeds
- To determine the exact distribution each community receives, DOR follows a formula in the CPA legislation that calls for up to three rounds of trust fund distributions. Click here to learn more about how the statewide trust fund distribution works.